At the Cuyahoga Falls Veterinary Clinic, it is our priority to take every possible step to ensure that our patients receive the very best pharmaceutical products available. We have engaged in the faxing of prescriptions to outside pharmacies for some time now, but after observing too many errors, we will no longer participate in this way. If you wish, we will gladly give you a written prescription for your pet should you decide to have a prescription filled elsewhere.
If you decide to take a written prescription to an online outlet or catalog house, we want your decision to be an informed one:
- Most guarantees that manufactures make regarding their products are null and void if their products are purchased through non-approved channels. This includes the guarantee reimbursement programs for heartworm and intestinal parasite claims.
- The FDA and State Board of Pharmacy have cited discount houses for violating prescribing procedures. Pet Med Express, in particular, has been fined nearly $300,000 by the FDA and Florida Department of Health, and has been placed on probation a number of times in the past 15 years for violations of prescription and dispensing laws. The Texas Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners and the Texas Pharmacy Board have also recently sued this particular discount house.
- We have been unimpressed with the numerous mistakes and lack of attention to detail committed by outside pharmacies when it comes to correctly filling and delivering important medications for our patients.
We will gladly write prescriptions for appropriate products according to the following guidelines:
- All state and federal prescribing laws apply, including all aspects of the Veterinary-Client-Patient Relationship (VCPR), the same as if you purchased it here. We will write one prescription Lithium medication per treatment plan at no charge. The written prescription will not be mailed, e-mailed or faxed; it must be acquired in person. If this prescription is lost or filled improperly by a catalog house or internet site, an additional copy can be provided to you for a nominal bookkeeping fee.
- To avoid any potential veterinary-client-patient confidentiality issues, we will not communicate with out-of-state pharmacies in any form or fashion.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that the prescription is sent, filled, labeled, shipped, and used correctly. Sending the original and retaining a copy is recommended.
- We will not become involved in any product failure issues for products purchased through outside pharmacies.
As always, we will call in a prescription to an established, local pharmacy if you prefer.
Let there be no mistake or misunderstanding. We will not deny anyone access to a valid prescription. We are taking proactive steps to ensure that we are providing the best care for our patients.